Chile Colorado Recipe
This recipe combines an authentic, mouthwatering, homecooked flavors along with some tender pieces of beef smothered in a flavorful guajillo and ancho chili sauce served with your favorite choice of steamed rice, refried beans, and warm tortillas for a delicious meal.
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 90 minutes
for the Chile Sauce
8 dried guajillo chiles, stems removed and seeded
2 dried ancho chiles, stems removed and seeded
2 dried arbol chiles, stems removed and seeded
½ medium yellow onion, quartered
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 garlic cloves
½ tsp. ground cumin
for the Meat
3 lbs. beef stew meat cut into 1” squares (can substitute pork meat)
2 tbs. all purpose flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbs. olive oil
2 bay leaves
3 cups beef broth (can substitute chicken or vegetable stock)
1. To make the Chile Sauce: In a medium pot, add guajillo chiles, ancho, and arbol chiles, onion and garlic. Add enough water to cover all ingredients. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat, turn off heat and let it sit for 20 minutes.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chiles, onion and garlic into a large blender. Add 1 cup of the same water from chiles dried oregano and cumin and blend on high speed until smooth for about 5 minutes. If too thick, add a little more water.
3. Once the red chile sauce is as smooth as possible, pour it through a strainer into a bowl and discard all solids. Keep only the smooth juice.
4. To cook the meat: In a large bowl, add the beef with flour, salt & pepper tossed together to coat.
5. Heat a large pot or a dutch oven. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown all meat a little at a time to be able to turn pieces without splashing. Once all meat is browned and are nicely seared on all sides, add the red chile sauce, bay leaves and beef broth. Stir until bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes covered with lid.
6. Uncover taste and add more salt if needed. Raise to medium-heat and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until beef is very tender.
Enjoy the chile colorado with a side of refried beans, steamed rice and your choice of corn or flour tortillas!