Pan Seared Halibut with Lemon Caper Butter Sauce
This recipe is a Great dish for a Friday evening to enjoy with your partner along with your favorite cocktail.
cook and prep time: 22 minutes
1 lb. Halibut or any fish of your choice (fresh skinned*and cut into two equal portions)
4 tbsp. butter (divided)
1tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. kosher salt (substitute sea salt)
½ tsp. black pepper (course grind)
4 slices lemon (cut into 1/4” inch thick)
2 tsp. fresh garlic (minced)
¼ cup white cooking wine (such Chardonnay or white zinfandel)
2tbsp. lemon juice
2tbsp. capers (drained)
2 tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped)
1. Salt the top of fish with just a small sprinkle of kosher salt. Place 2 tbsp. butter and the oil in a medium to large sautee’ pan and heat over medium heat.
2. Swirl the butter and oil around and once it starts to slightly brown, add the fish fillet top side down, Sprinkle the side facing up with the rest of the salt and pepper, cook for five minutes then using a fish spatula gently flip over being careful not to splash hot oil.
3. Add the lemon slices to the pan as the fish cooks and cook the fish 3 to 5 minutes. Poke the fish to test for doneness or insert a small knife in the side of the center to see if fish flakes. You want to stop the cooking just before it fully cooks so a little under cook in the center is fine. It will finish cooking outside the pan.
4. Using fish spatula, remove fish from pan to a platter along with cooked lemon slices.
5. Add garlic to the same pan or skillet over medium heat cook for 1 minute add cooking wine let it reduce or evaporate. Then add the lemon juice, capers and parsley. Cook for another minute then remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and stir to make sauce.
6. Pour sauce over fish and served over your choice of cooked rice or pasta along with your favorite vegetables.